Safer By the Dozen
12 Steps to a Safer Home Environment
- Use caution in the kitchen to avoid cuts and burns.
- Clear clutter from traffic areas and stairs.
- Secure loose rugs to the floor with carpet tape or nonskid padding.
- Use no-slip mats and grab bars in tubs and showers.
- Keep a phone and operable flashlight close to your bed for emergencies.
- Mount fire extinguishers (BC of ABC type) in your kitchen or other key areas.
- Maintain smoke alarms in key areas on every floor.
- Maintain adequate lighting, especially in staircases.
- Mount sensor lights outdoors to discourage intruders and light your way at night.
- Apply exterior house numbers easily visible to emergency vehicles.
- Maintain a self-care kit with water, flashlight, blankets, non-perishable food, and other items for emergency situations.
- Keep a first-air kit handy for initial care wen injuries occur.
Back to News